CREATING A LEARNING PATH

Most of my articles so far have been focused on the beginners who are still in the learning phase. It will still be the same with this article because I too, am still a junior in the field. I am merely sharing my journey in order to help someone out there who might want to take the route I took.

I hope this one helps you stay away from making the one big mistake I made when I started. Just as with anything in life, in order to stay competitive you need to continuously learn and practice. But you don't just go out and learn anything that comes your way. You need to set your path right. The biggest mistakes many self taught people I've talked to made, was quickly jumping into learning a language. It is the same mistake I made when I started.

While it is true that you cannot develop an application/ software without knowing some programming language, it is also true that knowledge of a language alone is not enough. You first need to get an understanding of the fundamentals. The fundamentals are what gives you the backbone to remain standing when you have to shift from one language to another, or when a new version/framework gets released. Once you understand, for example, the fundamentals of OOP, Algorithms and Data Structure, learning any OOP language will be much quicker and easier than if you maybe understand JAVA.

It is a mistake I and many out there made when we started out. But when it catches up with you, you are forced to go back and understand what the fundamentals entail. Don't complicate your journey as a developer. Start with the fundamentals. And practice practice practice!!.

Happy Coding
Mbuelo Ramafamba

Comments

Popular Posts