When I thought I couldn't and when I thought I could

I am very grateful for my life and the adventures that come with it. Being a very curious person, I've often found myself in many adventurous situation; though my mom may think otherwise when it comes to some of these adventures. But by far, career adventures have been the best.

Starting out with programming wasn't easy. I remember going through book to learn C by myself. When things went wrong, I didn't know how to fix them sometimes, and even when I tried to use google I didn't know the jargon. I slowly started discovering forums which became very helpful. And then I landed my first internship. I was very anxious and had little faith that I could actually do it. Majority of the people with me had Computer Science degrees, and there I was with nothing. I felt intimidated and it affected my performance for the first month. After a month and seeing that the struggles I had were similar to theirs, and that there wasn't much of a gap, I started to improve. But the damage from the first month was done, and on the third month I was part of those who were released.

I learned from my mistakes. The biggest of which was not believing in myself and doubting my potential. I told myself I wasn't going to mess it up this time, and would go all out. During the internship, I was put in a bucket, compared to where I am currently working(or rather let me call it growing). I went from a bucket to an ocean. The chances of drowning were there but after my first bottling, I told myself this time I have to make it count. I was handed a whole project on my own and given a deadline by which I needed to have a production ready app. A month into the project, I got robbed and lost everything. I could have quit at that time and said it is a sign that this is not my thing. I could have had an excuse for not meeting the deadline. But I wasn't about to do that.

I had my goal set and nothing was going to stop me from reaching it; not even robbers. I had a month till my deadline, and I actually got the whole project done. I learned one great thing when it comes to programming. A MENTOR IS IMPORTANT. I had a wonderful mentor whom each time I struggled with anything, he would refer me to a whole framework. It seemed rather laborious at first, but it was building me as a programmer. I learned so much so fast and as well as combining front end and back end; something I never thought I could do.

But at the end of the day it all came down to two things.
1. When I thought I couldn't do it and I didn't do it.
2. When I thought I could do and I did it.

Happy Coding
Mbuelo Ramafamba

Comments

Popular Posts